Monday, February 8, 2010

Can't buy me love.

So, with Valentine's Day right around the corner (six days, seven hours, and thirty-one minutes; but who's counting) I'd like to take this opportunity to rant. This is the most bogus holiday ever. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for love (sucker for chick flicks and sappy love stories), but I don't see why we should be expected to buy nice things for that special someone. I don't understand why girls get all worked up over flowers, candy, jewelry, or other stuff like that. Personally, I think that Valentine's Day should be all about spending time with someone; not fretting over the "perfect gift" or pitying people who don't have a valentine. Year after year I see broken hearted girls and guys walk around with no one to share the day with. I've been one of those people. But, you know, it doesn't have to be like that. We can all be happy on Febuary 14, with or without a valentine.
So, this Valentine's Day, I challenge you to be as happy as you can. If you have a valentine, just enjoy spending time with each other and stop worrying about all pressures that come with the day. If you don't, then do something fun for yourself! Go out with other single friends, have a relaxing day to yourself, or spend time with the family.
Remember, Valentine's Day wasn't made to celebrate a naked baby who shoots people with arrows or heart shaped cards and candy and flowers. It was made to celebrate St. Valentine, who's name may or may not represent more than one of the martyred saints of ancient Rome. Just remember that if the holiday's got you down. <3 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment