Thursday, February 4, 2010

Compasses

So, I will admit that I have a slight obsession with compasses. I draw them everywhere. In binders, on scraps of paper, in the margins of my notes, on my shoes; everywhere you look, you can find a compass. I suppose it all started with a book. Titled North of Beautiful, it immediately sparked my interest. It's about a girl with an abusive father and a port-wine stain. A port-wine stain is like a birthmark (sort of). Hers is on her cheek and she hides it beneath layers of make-up, casting it off as an ugly imperfection. Throughout the course of the book, she journeys to find herself, making new friends along the way. Oddly enough, however, none of that sparked my obsession. In the first chapter of the book, the girl draws an elaborate compass. That's what has stood out in my mind the most. I don't know why, but that's what hooked me on compasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment